Monday, November 28, 2011

Hey - Your dog is biting me!


Hey,

Well, this week was awesome!  And, once again I don't have too much time to write because I sent the pictures.  I don't know how that sucks the time so fast!  I'll try to get everything in on time.  

To start out, my new companion and greenie to the mission is Elder Adams from Murray, UT.  He's great.  We have had a lot of success in just this last week.  He just graduated high school and put his papers in to leave for the mission.  He's about the same size as me and weirdly a lot like me.  He's super quiet though and extremely serious.  But, I guess that's kind of how I started the mission too.  His Spanish is actually really good.  He just gets a little scared in the lessons and switches into robot mode to teach the same 10 sentences.  But, every day he is getting better and we are really practicing a lot in our study.  One thing that's nice is that we're on a new program where we study in companionship for 2 hours every day instead of 1.  

It's really been fun having him here in Peten for his first area.  It's kind of a culture shock for somebody who doesn't know Guatemala at all – all the pigs running around the streets, the fleas and the women breastfeeding in our first lesson.  The list goes on.  He thinks it's fun though.  I feel kind of bad however because we live in a pretty junky house and I think he comes from a pretty well off family.  Oh well, it's a good humbling experience.  =)  At least we get along really well.  

We had a ton of success.  We found a new family of 11 people that we've taught a couple of times already.  They came to church yesterday and we're really excited to keep working with them.  The only thing that's hard is that they live about an hour away from the church in Ixhuacut.  We were practically pulling them to church yesterday.  We also found a couple of new investigators and were able to put a baptismal date for Christmas Eve with Marcelo.  He's 17 and he seems pretty interested.  His parents were just baptized and he's never wanted to talk to the missionaries, but now he seems interested.  We also have found a couple other families that seem interested.  By the way, the super big one is the Perez Garcia family.  So, the work goes on and we're super excited for this coming week.  I think we're going to be able to put a couple of more baptismal dates with some of our investigators.  

I got bit by a dog this week.  That was lame.  Luckily it was biting me pretty softly so it didn't break the skin.  Ha-ha.  Stupid dog.  It scared my companion pretty bad though.  He hates being out at night now and freaks out whenever he sees a dog.  Poor guy. At least the dog bit me and not him.  We were at this member's house and the wife was letting us in the gate when it started biting me.  I started yelling, Hey!  Your dog's biting me!  A lot!  At the same time I was beating it with my Book of Mormon in the head, she was screaming, hey!  Don't hit my dog; you're going to hurt it!  I just wanted to tell her, it's biting me lady, what am I supposed to do?!  Oh well, I don't have rabies, I'm ok.  We’re never going back there again.  

The trip to the capitol was awesome!  I especially enjoyed the 1000 quetz of pizza that President Watts ordered for us, and the marshmallow brownies and pumpkin bread Hermana Watts made us.  MMMMM!  She's great.  She really loves the missionaries.  It was a long trip back to Peten though.  It was super long.

Anyways, short letter, but I have to get going.  Sorry mom, they didn't have my package in the office so I didn't have it for thanksgiving.  I did have some turkey hotdogs and beans and tortillas for dinner.  Ha-ha. But we were working so hard I hardly noticed it was Thanksgiving.  Anyways, love you guys.  Have a great week!

Elder Lloyd

No comments:

Post a Comment