Monday, December 5, 2011

Temple Dedication

Hey family!

How's everybody doing?  Well it was great to  hear from you all and it's sounding like everybody is getting ready for Christmas.  I  honestly don't feel like it's close to Christmas at all, but that could be a good thing to help me focus on the work.  Although, the little cantina called the Bungalito next to our house put of a sign in flashing Christmas lights so that makes it feel a little more festive.  =)

Things are going really well here in San Andres and I am really enjoying it.  It's kinda uncanny how much like I was when I started the mission my companion is. (Sorry if I just said that sentence in Yoda form.)  He's super super hard working but he doesn't really understand the importance of loving the people yet.  That's kind of how I was and I worked like a robot.  But, that's why he's got me to help him along.  I really have enjoyed being with him though.  He has a strong Spirit about him coming out of the MTC.  Even though he doesn't know Spanish that well, he still has a strong testimony and knows how to testify.  It's helped me kind of focus on my purpose and really invite people to come unto Christ.  

The (Name blanked out) family came to church again this Sunday but it was a little weird.  We were in Elder's quorum and at the very end the dad asked if he could say something.  He then stood up and took a piece of paper out of his pocket and unfolded it.  He had a list titled Lista de Venganza.  List of vengeance.  There was a list of 24 people or situations that he wanted to get vengeance on.  He then told us that his goal in life was to use the love that God has for him to find those people and get vengeance on them.  Long story short, we think that he might be into witchcraft.  So this Tuesday we're going to go over there and find out what we need to do to either help him, or maybe stop teaching them.  We'll see.  They came to church twice so they're obviously interested.  

Marcelo didn't come to church this Sunday because he went to a late night party on Saturday and was sleeping when we passed by. So he can't get baptized on Christmas eve because we aren't having church this Sunday.  Kinda stinks, but he's still reading and praying and progressing.

This Sunday is the dedication of the Quetzaltenango temple so they aren't having any meetings but we get to go to the stake center and see all three sessions.  I'm really excited about that.  I've heard that the temple here is really cool because everything has Mayan designs in it.  Even the carpet in the celestial room has Mayan designs cut into it.  There were 226,000 people that attended the open house.  It was a huge success for Guatemala.  Anyways, that should be cool.  I just have to find a white handkerchief.  

We got to go to the devotional last night.  That was such a nice night.  Even Abraham, Mariana, and Sandra went with their parents.  (they're our recent baptisms).  We had to go by hitchhike though and it was a little wet because it was raining hard.  We got there drenched but it was worth it.  They even put it in English for all of the gringo elders.  Awesome.  

We had a tarantula go through our house this last week while we were planning.  That was a little scary.  I'm kinda a little baby so I got out my mosquito net and put it over my bed.  Ha ha.  

Well, it's about time to get going.  It wasn't too exciting this week but we got a lot of work done.  We are really praying to find some new families.  I feel bad because my companion is getting a little bummed that we aren't having too much success.  But, I know that as long as we keep working hard, the Lord will provide sooner or later.  He always does.  

I love you guys and am really looking forward to talking to you on Christmas.  Drink lots of eggnog for me.  

Love,
Elder Lloyd

No comments:

Post a Comment