Thursday, October 20, 2011

In the Jungle . . . .

Hey Fam,

Hey, well, I got my change this week.  I'm here in the northern part of Peten in San Andres near Lake Flores.  It's pretty much a really awesome area.  It is probably one of the most beautiful places on earth.  I'm doing well.  It is definitely a lot hotter here in the north though.  Although, it's been really rainy lately and everybody keeps telling me to wait for the wrath of Peten when the clouds leave.  All I know is that it hasn't gotten below 90 degrees inside our house according to my thermometer on my alarm clock.  We shall see how the wrath is.  Our area has one paved road through the center of it but other than that everything is just dirt.  We are in charge of working San Andres and the Haldea of Ixhuacut.  That's the really cool place.  Everybody lives in stick and mud houses.  Over closer to the paved road there are nicer cement houses.  So, it's got just about everything.

Our area borders the lake so we have a really cool view from the house we stay in.  That's cool and everything, but the hills going down to the beachfront are bestias!  Between the heat and the hills I'm going to lose some serious weight.  I've never sweat so much before in my life.  My area's pretty massive.  Walking about as fast as you can, it takes about an hour and a half to 2 hours to walk all the way across.  I really wanted to be able to send you guys some pictures, but I didn't remember to bring my card adapter for the computer.  Sorry, you'll have to wait until next week.

It was a pretty long day coming to my new area.  We had change conference in the capitol at 8 in the morning on Wednesday.  Then all of the elders going to Coban, Polochic, and Peten left for the bus station.  The bus to Peten left the capitol at 2pm and we pulled up at the bus stop at 12am midnight.  Man, I was tired.  Then we stayed the night at the Zone Leaders house and met our companions the next morning to go to our new areas.  Long, weird couple of days. 

My companion is a really good teacher and great with the people.  I think I am going to learn a lot this change.  Things were a little rough this first little bit but we were able to talk last night and things seem to be going well.  I think the machete will probably be going back into the suitcase though.  But, like I said, he's a great teacher and a really good guy.  I'm just really going to spend this change seeing how I can help and hopefully we can have some good success.

Our branch is pretty awesome.  There are 4 elders in total that are in charge of it.  We have about 80 people that attend.  The best part is how many ward missionaries we have and how much they help.  One of them, Carlitos, is a returned missionary that was assistant to the President on his mission.  This Sunday he got up in sacrament meeting and told the branch to give us referrals and then passed out papers to everyone to write a name now.  It was kind of weird, but it was kind of cool.  The only thing we have to do is figure out where 30 random names on papers live.  =)  The only hard thing about our ward missionaries is that the only time they can do our coordination meeting at 5 am on Tuesday morning.  Man, it's hard to get up at 4:30.

Right now we are about an hour away from my area in Flores where the Zone Leaders live.  It's weird here.  They have a full sized super market and a burger king that we just ate at.  I definitely wasn't expecting that.  But, it was definitely one of the best things everrrrrrrr.  By the way, if you haven't tried a whopper from burger king with battered and fried cheese on it, do it.  It was definitely unhealthy, but tasty.  =)  We came after coordination to come and play soccer with half of the zone for 3 hours this morning.  To get to Flores, we have to ask for a jalon, or in other words, hitchhike.  It's kind of fun.  That's how all the Elders get around here.  The scenery is pretty cool from my area to here. 

Well, that's my area.  I've still got a lot of learning to do.  We have divisions with the Zone Leaders tomorrow.  That's going to be interesting because I'm staying in my area and my companion is going to the area of the Zone Leaders.  I'm not going to know anything!  Oh well, I know the limits.  At least we'll be able to work hard. 

Sounds like everything's going well back home.  I'm an uncle again!  Thanks a lot for the pictures of Henry.  I like the name.  He looks awesome.  You guys are pretty lucky to be able to take your trip over the DC and New York and be able to see him when you're there.  I'm actually a little jealous.  I'll have to wait another year and a half to see him.  Oh well.  Tell him I said Hi.  =)

I am SUPER excited to hear that Cody has his mission papers in!  That is fantastic!  Man, I am so glad!  That will be super awesome for him.  Tell him good luck and let me know as soon as you find out where he is going.  Maybe he'll join me down here in Guatemala.  =)  Also cool that Eli is leaving soon.  It's cool to see that everything is working out for all my friends to get out. 

Well, I'm trying to think if there is anything else to say.  We didn't have a toilet seat when I got into the house.  That was lame...  I am not leaving this city without first buying a toilet seat and taking it home.  Nasty!  Also, toilet paper has been a concern.  Lined paper for writing is not cutting it.  Anyways... I think I should just end the letter.  I love you guys.  Hope you have a great week.  I'm praying for you and hoping that all goes well on your trip. Until next week!
Love,
Elder Lloyd

No comments:

Post a Comment