Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I Feel the Earth Move Under My Feet!


Hey Family,

Well, another week.  Things are going really well here in my lil area.  It's been a good p-day and it's nice to get to sit down and read some of your letters.  We felt 3 earthquakes this morning.  That was a little interesting.  But, don't worry.  They were super little and a long time ago so I don't think we're going to see any more soon.  Hopefully.  =) 

Well, this week has been very good.  To start out my letter I guess I'll answer a couple of questions.  First off, my blood pressure.  I monitor it about once every week and it has been great.  This morning I checked it and it was 114/64.  Not too bad if I do say so myself.  I stopped taking my blood pressure medication in the CCM and have never had any problems with it.  I definitely know that is a blessing from the Lord as I serve my mission.  I think it's a mix of that and the fact that we walk like dogs all day under the hot sun.  My health is doing very well.  I am definitely losing weight.  There isn't really anywhere to weigh myself but I can definitely see it.  But, I am getting some protein so I'm not getting too scrawny.

That brings me to the next question, the weather.  We are reaching the end of the rainy season here in the capital.  It rains about once or twice every day and then gets really hot right after.  The clouds are crazy here.  They move super-fast and a storm comes in in less than 10 minutes.  It is definitely important to have a good umbrella here.  It is a rule for our zone that we can't wear a jacket for umm.... safety reasons.  The people have to be able to see the white shirt and tie and know that we are missionaries so it's only umbrellas here.  The problem is that there are almost no sombrillas here, and the ones that are here have like buzz light-year and mickey on them and cost a dollar.  It is kind of frustrating.  But I did finally ask Hermna Lopez if she knew anywhere where we could find good umbrellas because she travels for work.  She said she knew just the place and would pick some up for us.  Well when we showed up for to bring them to church on Sunday they gave us these super nice umbrellas and told us they were a gift from the Lopez family to their favorite people.  I was so thankful.  That was one of the nicest things anybody has ever done for me.  These umbrellas were like 10 dollars apiece and this family could definitely not afford to do that.  But they were so excited to give them to us so we took them and were super happy.  Well, somebody stole it this morning.  Lame!  We went in to this store and somebody took it when I set my stuff down.  I'm kind of sad that I don't have an umbrella anymore, but even more upset that I have to tell the Lopez family that somebody stole the umbrella they gave me.  They only gave it to me yesterday.  Anyways, that  was a pretty long story to say that it rains a lot.  But, rainy season is almost over and then I won't need to use an umbrella much.  And hopefully in my next area there will be no problems with jackets.

Anyways, next question.  How is the Lopez family?  Great!  We were able to put another baptismal date with Remberto, the father.  We will now be having at least 4 baptisms in between the two Saturday sessions of General conference.  We might even be able to have Carla's wedding before the baptism too.  I'm pretty excited for that.  If all goes through it sounds like President and Sister Watts might show up for the baptism.  That would be a pretty awesome day for the Lopez family.  Violeta has gone to do baptisms for the dead at the temple 2 times in the past 2 weeks and might even go in this coming week.  Sweet!  There is nothing that makes us happier than seeing this family progress.  And they are definitely progressing.  They have been reading, praying and coming to church every week.  We are going by quite a bit and always love having us over to teach.  They gave us a churasco yesterday that was soooooooo good.  Holy cow!  They definitely couldn't afford that either.  We have told them time and time again that they don't have to do that.  Oh well, they're receiving blessings.  Anyways, I love that family.  It's been pretty awesome watching them over these last 3 changes and see the changes in their life and the happiness enter their family.

As for Soraida and Ismael, well, they didn’t show up to church this week and told us 1 hour before that they were going to show up but didn’t.  I'm pretty sure she just wants help and food from the church and knows that if she is baptized she can get lots.  The last time we talked to her she got all mad and said that she wasn't getting help from anybody, including us.  So, that's where we're at.  It gets kind of old having people ask us for money.  We're super poor too.  I heard this week that our mission receives less money per missionary than any other mission other than one.  We definitely learn to budget though.  And don't worry, we have enough. 

We have been putting some pretty intense goals as a companionship.  One of them is that we have to get 4 contacts to families every day, meaning a man, woman, and at least one kid.  We also made the goal of asking 12 references every day.  The other part to those goals is that if we don't reach them, we don't get to eat dinner when we get in at 9:30.  Needless to say, we've met the goal every day.  =)

Well, know that we are working hard and having a ton of fun.  Sometimes I hope it doesn't seem like I'm neglecting you guys.  There are really sometimes where I go a couple of days without even once thinking of home or life before the mission, but that sure does make the time go by fast.  I'm pretty sure that's a good thing though.  Either way you are always in my prayers and I have plenty of time to think about home when I get back. =)  I love you guys.  Have a great week.  Keep up your work for the Lord in all your callings and in raising your families.  I'm grateful I have a family so centered in the gospel.  Thanks for all the examples you've been for me growing up and still today. 

Love,
Elder Lloyd

No comments:

Post a Comment