Wednesday, May 4, 2011

First week in Guatemala

Hey!  Everything is going great here in the CCM.  I can´t believe it´s already been a week since I got here.  It is absolutely wonderful here.  I am so glad that i have this opportunity to learn so much here in this culture.  The CCM facility itself is fantastic.  Seriously, for a third world country this place is like a 5 star hotel.  Everything´s really clean and they take really good care of us. 

It is hot here!  it probably gets up to about 80 or 85 degrees everyday and its super muggy.  Pero, está bien.  The food, wow.  Soooo good.  They have a staff of about 3 or 4 women that cook us authentic Guatemalan meals every meal.  I´m thinking I might be gaining a bit of weight, not sure.  haha.  I´ll work on that, but the food´s just been super good. 

Oh by the way, for some reason this keyboard doesn't let you enter so its going to have to be one huge paragraph. 

Anyways, back to the weather.  It´s not too bad during the day because our classroom has great air conditioning, but at night I fry.  Haha.  I just lay on my sheets and sweat myself to sleep - but for some reason, I love it.  The really cool thing about this place is the Latino Elders and Hermanas.  In total there are only 39 missionaries here.  Isn´t that awesome? Everything is so personalized.  But most of these elders have been members for only 2 or 3 years.  All were baptized and just decided to make whatever sacrifice they would have to to be able to come.  Needless to say they all have really strong testimonies.  When they teach and bare testimony it´s so powerful. 

One of the things that they do here that helps us with our Spanish is that they have us do a Latino exchange for every meal and meeting so we have to sit and speak with our Latino companion.  It´s pretty nice and really fun to talk to them.  I think Latino people are just all way more fun to be around than Americans.  They just know how to have fun.  My Spanish is coming along very well.  I can understand all the natives, even when they´re speaking super fast.  Things have been a little hard teaching because my companion knows hardly any Spanish so I´ve been speaking English too much.  But we're working on that.  My companion is Elder Horne from Show Low, AZ.  He´s got a pretty good testimony and wants to work hard.  He´s great. 

Let´s see, what else?  I think that the best thing about being here so far was that we were able to go over to the Temple for an hour and talk to the people there.  They were mostly all from El Salvador and were there for a sealing of a couple who had waited about 10 years saving up.  It´s so amazing to see the faith of these members here.  Nobody is a second generation member so they´re all pretty fresh.  Most of the Elders and Sisters haven't even been endowed yet and will enter the temple for the first time today when we do a session.  So awesome!  There is one Sister who told us a story of her family in testimony meeting.  Her family came from Honduras 15 years ago to be sealed.  They came and did the ordinance and then drove home.  On the way home their family got in a car crash and her sister died.  She bore testimony of the truthfulness of the sealing ordinance of the temple and how she knew she would see her sister again.  I´m crying right now just typing this.  Today will be the first time she enters the temple in 15 years to receive her endowment.  That´s how everybody is here.  I love it. 

I love you all.  I have to go - times up on the internet.  Have a great week.  Tell anybody that wants to write me that they just need to use dearelder.com. For family, email is best. 

bye,

Elder Lloyd

No comments:

Post a Comment