Saturday, February 16, 2013

Elmer!

Hey guys, Another good week. As always, I'm doing well and loving life. We started out this week flying to Peten and doing the interviews and trainings with each of the companionships in the zone over a 2 day period. It went super well. It's always nice to be able to do those meetings with each of the companionships and get to know each and every one of them a little better and try to help them with their challenges. It's starting to get really hot in Peten. By the way Mom and Dad, just so you know when you get here in April it's probably the hottest week of the entire year in Guatemala. Get ready to sweat. Also, you might want to bring some good sunscreen. We came back on Wednsday night from Peten. We left on Friday early morning and did the interviews in the Verapaz zone. They are doing really well. I think they are probably some of the best missionaries in the whole mission. The best part is they are all really new missionaries and have so much energy for the work! It was touching because a few of them told me about some of the things I had said in the training meetings we give when missionaries enter the mission that had impacted them. They said they had applied what we had said and really gained a testimony of it. That was really nice because it helped me realize that what I'm doing in the mission really does make a difference. One great noticia is that my converts from Peten are in the Temple Preparation class preparing to be sealed together. How cool is that?! It would be a total of 3 families. Hopefully they can get ready by April. It's so great to know that my converts are doing well. I love hearing about their growth from other missionaries. Also, just knowing that their goal is the temple and that the wards are helping them get there. Well, not much happened this week, but I did want to tell a great story. I think I mentioned about 4 months ago that I had had this experience. I was with my two companions going to Salama about 3 hours from the capital. The two of them sat together and I was sitting in front of them with nobody sitting next to me. Well, in the moment I was feeling horrible about myself. I was thinking about how I had been stuck in the office dealing with administrative stuff of the mission like transfers, trainings, etc. It had been about 3 weeks to a month since I had actually been out working in an area and sharing the gospel. I prayed so hard to the Lord that he would give me the opportunity on that bus to share the gospel with at least one person so that I could feel the joy of sharing the gospel again. I had just finished the prayer and opened my eyes when the bus stopped and picked up a young man. The young man got on the bus and made his way over, sitting right next to me. So I thought, I better talk to him. His name was Elmer and was actually a really nice guy. By the time we got to our destination I was able to talk to him about the restoration of the gospel and gave him a pamphlet. I got his information and handed it off to the missionaries in his area. The missionaries told me the day after that they had made contact with him and he seemed to be really receptive. I was so excited and hoped he would progress. I kind of forgot about him. Yesterday, over 4 months after that happened, I was talking to the Elders in Elmer's area. Neither of these Elders were in the area when I first made contact with Elmer. They had a baptism last week and I asked them how it went. They said very well and showed me their pictures. Well, it was Elmer. He was baptized last Saturday. Also, his Girlfriend and her brother were baptized about a month ago and Elmer's family is now listening to the missionaries and progressing and his sister has accepted a baptismal date. I was so happy! That is one of the biggest answer to a prayer I have had in my entire life. Because the Lord loves me and his other children, he allowed Elmer to get on that bus in that exact moment on that exact date, just so I could talk to him about the gospel and his family would be able to know the truth. I have also gained a huge testimony of the importance of our small acts of service. Because of one little 30 minute busride sharing the gospel, the Lord could make great things happen in the lives of Elmer and his family. I felt so humbled to be a part of that and know the Lord loves me and wants me to be happy. Anyways, the gospel is great! Happiness truly comes from working for the Lord. There is nothing else. I love you all. Have a great week! Elder Lloyd

No comments:

Post a Comment