Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Transferred from Coban



Hey guys,

Well, another week and more transfers.  These 6 week transfers are going by so fast now.  It's actually kind of sad.  Things hit me yesterday that I'll really be leaving Coban tonight.  My bus leaves at 2 in the Morning and I'll get there at 7 just in time for the transfer conference at 9am.  It's a tired trip.  

Yesterday we went to the highest mountain in all of the Coban/Alta Verapaz area.  It was sooo much fun.  I've wanted to do that ever since I got to Coban 7 months ago.  It was unfortunate though because we brought some of the Sisters in the zone along with us and they showed up an hour and a half late and couldn't stand the hike.  As we were about an hour from the top, one of the sisters caught up to us to tell us that one of the other sisters was at the bottom dying because she was super sick.  So, I took another Elder with me and we ran down the mountain to see how she was and if she needed a blessing.  We were able to get down in about 20 minutes after it taking about 2 hours to get up.  We got to the bottom and she said she was perfectly fine, just waiting patiently for us to finish the hike and have a good time.  So, we started up the mountain again and hiked an hour just when the APs called us to tell us that one of the Elders on top of the mountain had to take a bus to the cap 2 hours later so we had to turn back.  So I didn't get to hike it, but it was still an awesome activity.  

As we rode the bus back to Coban through the hills and fields of the aldeas, it made me pretty sad to know I'd be leaving the people of Coban.  This place has really changed me.  I've seen miracles here.  I've struggled here more than in other time of my life, but for a great cause.  I feel just like Alma did when he talked about his joy of being an instrument in the hands of the Lord in saving some soul.  Really there is nothing better than finding people that want to come unto Christ and giving them the key that lets them enter in at the gate of the narrow path to eternal life.  I'm going to miss Elder Proctor as well.  What a great guy.  I'm really grateful I had this last change with him to learn all that the Lord had prepared for us to learn.  We really have felt the hand of the Lord here in this great city.  But, the Lord has other things in store for me now.  
It's looking like I'll be an Assistant to the President...  Not sure how I feel about it.  It's very possible that I won't have a proselyting area again in my mission. I sure hope that's not the case though.  I have 7 months left and it's possible that President could let me train the last 3 months of my mission.  But that's in a long time so I won't think of it too much.  It will be kind of cool because I will be able to go on a lot of divisions with Elders in the mission and try to help them work more effectively.  I also will be able to eat Hna Watts' food.  Ha-ha.  We'll see how it goes though.  

We had an amazing experience this week.  The mission has a goal of finding a 2 new families every week in every area, one through tracting efforts and one from member referrals. President Watts talked to us in concilio about putting goals of faith and asking the Lord to complete with those goals.  So we put it into practice and put the goal on Friday morning to fast starting after lunch and look for 2 new families before the weekend was over.  Well we went out to work and all our appointments fell.  But we continued and talked to a less active family that gave us a referral right there for a family that lived close by.  We went and contacted them immediately and taught them a lesson.  They loved it and invited us back.  New family.  Then we went to a street in our area that we had never tracted.  I had always felt that we should touch doors there since about 5 months ago but never had gotten to it because our area is so big.  So after knocking 5 or 6 houses and getting rejected at every single one of them, we felt we needed to contact one more house before we went to the next appointment.  We knocked and another family let us in to teach them about the book of Mormon.  They also loved it and invited us back for another visit.  All in all, God is very loving and will give us what we need if our desires our righteous.  We were able to complete that goal and feel a miracle in the work.  

On less great of news, the guy that got baptized about 2.5 months ago seems to be with another woman...  =(  He left his wife and 5 kids a week ago and seems to be living with another woman.  His wife asked for an explanation but he said it was none of her business and left.  I don't know what happened.  He was doing so well.  We've tried to find him at work to talk to him but haven't had any luck.  I don't like writing about it much because it's broken my heart, but please pray for him and his wife and her five kids.  She's thinking of moving to Chiquimula to live with her family, but isn't sure what to do still.  I hope everything goes ok.

I love you guys.  I hope everybody is doing well.  Congratulations Levi for becoming a High Councilman. The Lord has great things prepared for our family.  Thanks for the money for the suit.  It's going to be awesome.  I'll take a picture when I get it.  Anyways, got to pack.  

Love,
Elder Lloyd

No comments:

Post a Comment