Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Ma kan li tumin


Hey family,

Well, another week and things are crazy.  It's change week and there's a lot of hustle and bustle here in Coban.  Being zone leader makes it pretty rough for change time.  We are in charge of all the Elders that have to go to the capital or out of Coban in the next 3 days and yesterday from here, Polochik, and Baja Verapaz; where they sleep, how they get here, what they eat, who they do divisions with, and buying their bus tickets.  Yesterday we had to send 5 Elders and Sisters to the capital that also have problems with their visas and arrange divisions in the zone for their companions.  Today we had 3 more that are going to train to the capital and are here with their companions.  Tomorrow those that are finishing their mission and those with transfers to the capital, in total about 10 are coming and staying the night with us.  Then Wednesday at 2 AM we get them taxis and they all head off to the bus for the transfer conference in the capital.  Then Wednesday night we will be receiving all the Elders that come in.  And finally, on Thursday morning at 4am, the Polochik Elders head off on their bus to their areas and we show everybody where to go in the zone.  Needless to say, times are exciting por aqui.  

This week was a little interesting.  I think the Lord has really been trying my patience.  It actually all started a couple weeks ago when I didn't receive my reimbursement for my 950 Quet the rent and laundry lady.  I called up the finance Elders and asked why and apparently they didn't receive my fax of my receipts while I was in Peten and couldn't reimburse either of the months' rent.  So I called my old companion in Peten and apparently when he was cleaning the house he threw my rent receipts away.  So, he had to redo them and fax them in to the office.  I still haven't had my reimbursement come in and called the office this morning and they say they still haven't got it cleared.  Plus it's going to be another 4 to 5 days until it gets deposited into my account.  So, maybe by next Monday I'll have my money.  Luckily I have had my emergency fund of 600 Quetz or else I wouldn't have eaten anything these last 2 weeks.  As it is, things have been pretty skimpy.  On top of all that, we came home on Tuesday night and had no electricity.  Apparently the Elders before us forgot to pay the light bill for 3 months and the electric company had come and cut the electricity to our house.  So, we haven't had electricity since then until today.  Plus, all our food was ruined because the refrigerator was off for all that time.  But, oh well.  I guess things happen sometimes.  I've got about 12 dollars to live on this week.  We'll see how it goes.  Don't worry though; the members give us food quite often.  Sorry, don't mean to complain so much. 

Mom asked me about my companion.  He's Elder Navas from Honduras.  Before the mission he was a professional soccer player and modified and raced cars.  He's pretty rich and I'm pretty sure he's going to keep playing soccer after the mission.  He also says he was studying to be a chemical engineer one semester before the mission.  He has 20 months and Mom asked if he is anxious to go home.  Yes.  It's a little rough, but I am really trying to love him and serve him.  I really use divisions the best I can to help work progress in our area.  I've talked to him a few times about it but he doesn't seem to change. I just think that I have had a negative attitude about it and that doesn't change things.  So this next change I'm really going to try to help him.  

Leopoldo and Carmen are not progressing too greatly.  They didn't get married because we haven’t been able to find them much at home.  We'll try again this week.  We are really hoping that they'll turn around a bit.  We did find a couple of good new investigators. Densil, a guy that lived in Houston 8 years, and Carola.  Densil just told us he really needs our help.  But, I really feel like he wants to change.  Well, time is up.  Love you guys.  Sorry my letter was short and a little negative.  I love you lots and hope you have a great time in Ecuador.  
Love,
Elder Lloyd

No comments:

Post a Comment